Home History

History

The spot where the now famous Woodbridge Inn stands was a favorite place of worship for the Cherokee Indians. The red men had a thing about Sharptop Mountain as viewed from the East dining room. They held their prayers as the sun rose over the mountain.

On the West Side of the building is the Old Federal Road, the path of General Andrew Jackson and his army on the way to Florida to fight the Seminoles. Legend has it that patrols from both the Union and Confederate forces camped here, at different times, of course.

Ed Lenning, who made a fortune during the gold rush in California in 1849, fought on the side of the South and after the war erected this building. He ran an inn for travelers who came by stagecoach. Georgia’s Civil War Governor, Joe Brown, was a frequent guest of Lenning’s.

The railroad came in 1884 which brought guests from Florida in the summer. The wooden bridge was built in the early 1900’s.

Jim Lenning, son of Ed, ran the place now called a hotel during the Depression of the 30’s. Many Georgia governors ate at the long dining table of The Lenning House. Among them, Gene Talmadge, Ed Rivers, and Dick Russell.

There are ghosts here of the Indians who were so cruelly evicted from their lands. Legend says that on certain nights you can hear them crying. There are ghosts of the famous statesmen who have been here and gone over the mountain and some claim to have heard the voice of Tom Watson shouting. Watson was evicted once by Ed Lenning.

There are those of us who wish The Woodbridge Inn would stand forever. It brings great people here. But if the Inn ever falls, the marvelous view of old Sharptop will always be there. God made it so.

For more information about wooden hotel design. Click here.

Comments are closed.